Thursday, July 29, 2010

Back Seat Gaming: Less Annoying Than Being Stuck in Traffic

Here's a treat. Something I'm excited for and hopefully you are too. Solid evidence that all this works (go ahead, try and disprove it!). Just because she doesn't read this, doesn't mean she doesn't exist. ...or care. ...I'm pretty sure she loves me. Here is this weeks...

That's What She Said:
KS (my girlfriend!) on LIMBO
So, let me start off my saying that I NEVER watch Aidan play video games. With that said, he just downloaded this new game called Limbo, which is REALLY cool. He started it and I was really intrigued by the art style, so I continued watching. Beginning the game, you have NO idea what it's about, its purpose, the control buttons--anything. It's dark and scary but also totally awesome. Even though this game isn't technically co-op, Aidan and I play it as if it was. He plays while I watch and we both try to figure out the puzzle-like problems that present themselves to our little boy. We watch out for bear-traps, evil spiders, and mischievous mechanical equipment while trying to climb chains, ladders, and boxes to get where we want. I am not normally a video game person, and would really never choose to play on my own, but this game is really amusing and I love the style of it. It's also very fun to be a backseat gamer :)

My take:
Like she said, this isn't a co-op game (though not everything she said is factual. Why would she lie and say she wouldn't play games if it weren't for me?...) but it is an amazingly fascinating game! She's dead on in the description. It's all in black and white and follows the story of a boy traveling through Limbo to find his sister. You don't know anything else. How she got there, how you followed her, what this place is. These are all questions that, as far as my play through has been going, aren't answered. But instead of bogging down the player with back story and trying to make sense of the scenario just tasks you with the sole goal of your rescue. The art style is amazing, the puzzles are usually complex and physics based so it doesn't require secret know how, just a knowledge of how gravity and friction work and the ability to think several steps ahead. Despite no dialogue, music or narrative of any kind, the game is very engaging and you genuinely care for the little boy and his plight. Again, not a great choice for your girlfriend since it's not co-op and the game throws you in with no tutorial or explaination of how the game'll play. Still, it's engaging and the puzzles may require two heads. At least that's better than one.

This may be a little enigmatic but the art style alone warrants a purchase. Watch three seconds of this video and then buy it. BUY IT!:



You may purchase this fine product for $15 through your Xbox Live Marketplace or on Xbox.com.

2 comments:

  1. i like to watch thorn play his single player games as well. this doesn't seem like one he'd play, so he'd probably be the one watching over my shoulder.

    - Soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read it wont ever be out for PC, this makes me sad because it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete