Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Only Thing To Fear is Fear Itself... And Parasitic Zombie Aliens That Don't Die When Shot in the Head

Yesterday I hooked up the half of the surround sound I have (which... really defeated the point of it being SURROUND sound) and will set up the rest probably later today. I'm waiting on some parts. BUT since I took the morning off from work to hook it up... and I had a little extra time... I got to play some games.

What Does the X Button Do?
Dead Space:
Dead Space is a terrifying game in which you essentially play a mechanic who is sent to a ship in the middle of space that sent one distress call and has since gone silent. ...brilliant. Has the main character not watched ANY SCI-FI MOVIE EVER? Apparently not, because he goes aboard with a crew, half of whom are slaughtered in the first 5 minutes by alien parasites. They take many different forms but they infect their host and the host dies and then comes back to like as a zombie with talons and claws and other horrifying things. Worst of all a direct hit to the alien won't hurt it much. You need to chop it up by shooting off its limbs. It's called strategic dismemberment and it's awful. After that initial encounter your ship, your only means of escape, blows up. To save yourself you're sent all around the ship to do various tasks such as send your own distress signal, return the life support systems to normal, and repair the ship's shields since your ship is drifting through an astroid field. Oh! Forgot to mention, the "astroid field" is actually debris from a planet. The ship you're stuck on is called a planet cracker and its job is too break open a planet and mine it for resources. Because of this, most of the "weapons" at your disposal and actually mining tools you customize to preform as weapons. The best weapon, in my opinion, is The Ripper. A machine that projects a spinning saw blade several feet in front of you for about 30 seconds. You shoot it out, hold it in front of you and slice up the baddies. The X button is the heal button and is a God send because you don't have time to riffle through your inventory while in the midst of battle.

I've been playing this for a while because I only play at night and when no one's around. Makes it hard to play but it makes it so much more fun. I've never been more scared by a game. I jump (physically) at least 3 times a play session (about an hour).

I also played Wolverine earlier in the day, after I finished the surround sound. The weird thing about that game is if you just describe it to someone it sounds so boring. Slash, maim, kill, next guy, slash main kill, next guy, slash... Doing it though... whole other story. If violence was poetry, Ninja Gaiden would be Shakespeare's sonnets but Wolverine would be Langston Hughes. ...you know because it's not the best but it's way up their and amazing. ...you get it, right?

Here's what my 360 has to say about the evening:
http://360voice.gamerdna.com/tag/new%20gunslinger

No comments:

Post a Comment